Evaluating Your Own Wines
In this podcast you’ll discover why it is so important to take a systematic approach to evaluating your own wines. This is, I believe, an essential part of learning to make a better bottle of wine. Whether you’re an amateur winemaker or professional you will benefit from this as will your wines.
Here are just a few of the different systems used by wine professionals to evaluate wines. Take a look at each and see which one feels right to you. If these are too involved you could always write out a list of questions to answer when tasting your own wines to see where you can improve.
- UC Davis 20 Point Wine Scoring System
- Guild of Sommeliers Tasting Grid
- Wine and Spirits Education Trust Tasting Grid
As I mentioned in the podcast the point of evaluating your wine is not to assign it a numeric score. The point is to take a structured approach to tasting and evaluating your wine.
- How long can you age kit wines?
- Can I add extra tannins to my kit wine? How does that affect aging?
- Can I age my kit wine in a 5 liter barrel?
Resources & Products Mentioned
- Winemaker’s Academy Podcast Episode 23: Tasting Wine with the Wine Curmudgeon
- Matt’s Strawberry Melomel
- #9 Premium Corks
- Private Preserve
- Solid Cork Closures
- Overrun corks from wineries
If you enjoy the podcast and would like to become a supporter click here to learn more.